The Integrated Society of Musicians has written to the Boris Johnson Authorities warning that a no-deal Brexit will price British musicians who carry an instrument an additional £1,000 a yr.
It argues that:
– Musicians might be required to buy carnets – short-term worldwide customs paperwork that permit devices and sound gear to maneuver briefly outdoors the UK – which price within the area of £500-700, relying on the worth of the products. It’s at the moment potential to take devices to international locations within the EU at no cost and buying an ATA Carnet is a major additional price to be pressured upon musicians which can develop into an enormous barrier for a lot of musicians touring the EU27.
Musicians can even face quite a few further prices together with:
– Personal medical insurance coverage, which might develop into important in a no-deal Brexit as EHIC provision would stop, would set a musician with no pre-existing medical situation again round £70 per yr, however it might be as excessive as £320 for a musician with a pre-existing medical situation.
– Musical Instrument Certificates, that are solely required for devices containing endangered species based on CITES (together with ivory, rosewood, tortoiseshell) are at the moment free however are set to incur a cost in 2020 (quantity unknown). Examples: some violin bows include ivory and a few guitars include rosewood.
– Musicians who drive to the continent might want to buy an Worldwide Driving Allow costing £5.50.
– If A1 kinds develop into out of date on 1 November, musicians should additionally be certain that they don’t seem to be answerable for double deductions of social safety funds in different EU international locations by contacting the related EU social safety establishment to examine.
– If visas are launched to work within the EU27/EEA, that is more likely to trigger appreciable monetary and administrative burden to musicians.
Tasmin Little OBE, violinist, stated:
‘A musician’s life relies round journey subsequently ease of motion is a necessary requirement. Any nation that values a wealthy cultural and musical life understands that range is barely potential if musical communities stay worldwide; and this may solely occur if there may be absolute freedom to journey, each with regard to deliberate excursions in addition to last-minute engagements. It’s as important for musicians from the UK to journey overseas with ease, as it’s for artists from outdoors the UK to enter the nation to work. The quantity of purple tape is rising to an unlimited proportion, and that is starting to have a serious unfavorable impression on musicians, each when it comes to time spent in addition to price concerned. We name upon the federal government to grasp these points, ease these difficulties and allow us to proceed to present our greatest and do our jobs with out hindrance and extreme additional prices.’